- Limit energy intake from total fats and sugars - eat less sweets such as cakes, candies sodas and drinks. When cooking, do less frying and instead broil, bake, or roast without adding too much fat.
- Increase consumption of fruits and vegetables, as well as legumes, whole grains and nuts.
- Engage in regular physical activity - find things that you enjoy doing, such as walking with a close friend/spouce, dancing to music you like or even engaging in outdoor games with friends and family.
- Change old habits; For example if you usually snack while watching tv, try to limit the amount of snacks eaten, or use fruits and vegatables for snacks instead. You can also reduce TV time.
- Set a goal for weight loss. Make sure the goal you set is realistic and achievable. You may get discouraged if the goal is set too high and you do not see the results you were expecting.
- Do not try to lose too much weight too soon.
Find activities to do around the home and in the yard, such as gardening and cleaning. It all adds up!